Taking An Exam With SofTest - Windows
Summary of Exam Process
to exam day
1. Register and pay for SofTest
2. Download and install SofTest Click here for complete installation instructions.
3. Download exam file prior to exam time.
On Exam Day
1. At exam time, run SofTest.
2. Select exam file.
3. Student gets unique exam number from written exam instructions.
4. Proctor supplies password to exam file.
5. PC reboots into secure mode.
6. Student takes exam.
7. When finished, student exits exam.
8. PC reboots into normal mode.
9. SofTest looks for network connection.
10. SofTest uploads answer file.
Step By Step: Taking An Exam
Run SofTest. Normally, you will have an icon on your Windows desktop.
It looks like this or this
Running SofTest will start the Softest Launcher:
Click the "Launch SofTest" button.
This will give you the SofTest Start Window. Follow the steps below to begin your exam.
1. In the "Exam File Location" field, click the down arrow, and select the correct exam file for the exam you are about to take.
2. Enter the 4-digit exam number (your proctor will show you where to get this number)
3. Enter the password for this exam (this will be supplied by the proctor)
4. Click the "Start" button.
You will get a dialog box saying that SofTest needs to reboot the system. Click OK.
Once the system restarts, log on to the computer, if necessary. (some students set passwords on their laptops, some don't)
SofTest will run automatically, and will bring up this screen:
When you get to this screen, do not proceed until instructed to do so by the proctor!
When you get this screen, stop and wait until instructed to proceed. This is the "Stop Sign Screen" that you will hear about. This screen means that SofTest is ready for you to start typing your essay. Do not go past this screen, until the proctor tells you to begin your exam.
Once the proctor says to begin, type "Begin" in the box, and then click the Begin button. The word processor will open up, and you can start typing your essay.
Next: The Word Processor Screen
Back To Index