Publications - Barbara J. Cox
Books and Book Chapters
- "Sane-Sex Couples Seek Federal Benefits and Interstate Recognition of Their Relationships, 2010 International Survey of Family Law 401 (B. Atlom. ed.).
- "My Life-long Commitment to Equal Justice and Civil Rights," in It's Harder in Heels: Essays by Women Lawyers Achieving Work-Life Balance (Slotkin & Goodman, eds. 2007)
- Author, Chapter 10 on “Applying the Usual Marriage-Validation Rule to Marriages of Same-Sex Couples” in Marriage and Same-Sex Unions: A Debate (Wardle, Strasser, Duncan, and Coolidge eds, 2003).
- Co-Author with Mary Ray, Beyond the Basics: A Textbook for Advanced Legal Writing and Teacher's Manual (West Group, 2d ed. 2003) (3d ed. forthcoming 2012).
- Co-editor with Evan Wolfson, Practice Manual on Choice-of-Law and Full Faith and Credit Issues for Attorneys Bringing Same-Sex Marriage Recognition Cases (unpublished manuscript for Lambda Legal Defense Fund, completed July 1998).
- Co-Author with Mary Ray, Beyond the Basics: A Textbook for Advanced Legal Writing and Teacher's Manual (West's Publishing Co., 1991).
- Project Editor, Wisconsin Trial Judges Benchbooks (Wisconsin State Bar, 1983) (a three-volume set of Wisconsin procedural and substantive law for use by trial judges on the bench).
Articles and other Publications
- Why Appellate Courts Have Rejected the argument that the Defense of Marriage Act Trumps the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act, Symposium Issue on DOMA and Federalism Issues and Interstate Recognition of Same-Sex Couples Relationships, 41 CA Western Int'l L.J. 189 (2010) (article prepared as co-convenor of symposium jointly sponsored by California Western School of Law and Brigham Young University J. Reuben Clark Law School).
- "A Painful Process of Waiting:" The New York, Washington, New Jersey, and Maryland Dissenting Justices Understand that "Same-Sex Marriage" is Not What Same-Sex Couples Are Seeking, 45 CA Western L. Rev. 139 (2008-09).
- Encyclopedia Entry on Hurley v. Irish-American Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Group of Boston, 515 US 557 (1995), in Encyclopedia of the Supreme Court of the United States (Davide Tanenhaus, ed), MacMillan References (2009).
- Clara Shortridge Foltz Professorship Acceptance, 39 California Western International Law Journal 371 (2009).
- Equal Rights are Now Promised Every Californian, San Diego Union-Tribune (May 16, 2008) (discussing the California Supreme Court's In Re Marriage Cases opinion).
- Some Ruminations about Marriage Equality and the Four Recent Supreme Court Cases, Tom Homann Law Association Newsletter 3-4 (Spring 2008).
- Book Review, Same Sex, Different States: When Same-Sex Marriage Cross State Lines by Andrew Koppelman, 5 (1) Sexuality Research and Social Policy Journal 106 (March 2008).
- The 40th Anniversary of Loving v. Virginia: It Enduring Vitality, Los Angeles Daily Journal (June 12, 2007) (reprinted in Res Ipsa, March 2008).
- California Tracks National Discussion on Interstate Recognition of Same-Sex Couples' Legal Relationships, 18 (3) California Litigation 27 (2005).
- "AALS as Creative Problem Solver: Implementing Bylaw 6-4(a) to Prohibit Discrimination on the Basis of Sexual Orientation in Legal Education," 56 J. Legal Educ. 22 "California Tracks National Discussion on Interstate Recognition of Same-Sex Couples’ Legal Relationships," California Litigation (2006).
- "Using an ‘Incidents of Marriage’ Analysis When Considering Interstate Recognition of Same-Sex Couples’ Marriages, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships," 13 Widener L.J. 699 (2004).
- "Interstate Validation of Marriages and Civil Unions," 30 (3) Hum. Rts. Q. 5 (Summer 2003).
- "Adoptions by Lesbian and Gay Parents Must Be Recognized by Sister States Under the Full Faith and Credit Clause Despite Anti-Marriage Statutes that Discriminate Against Same-Sex Couples," 31 Cap. U.L. Rev. 751 (2003).
- "But Why Not Marriage: Some Thoughts on Vermont’s Civil Unions Law, Same-Sex Marriage, and Separate But (Un)Equal," 25 Vermont L. Rev. 113-147 (2000).
- “The Little Project: From Alternative Families to Domestic Partnerships to Same-Sex Marriage, 15 Wis. Women’s L.J. 77 (2000)(Introducing the republication in 15th Anniversary Issue of my 1986 article Alternative Families: Obtaining Traditional Family Benefits Through Litigation, Legislation and Collective Bargaining, 2 Wis. Women’s L.J. 1-51 (1986)).
- “Belle Case LaFollette,” American National Biography vol. 4, pgs. 42-44, ed. John A. Garraty and Mark C. Carnes (New York: Oxford University Press, 1999).
- Confessions of a Commentator: Recognizing One’s Own Exclusion of Race and Ethnicity from Sexual Orientation Scholarship, Symposium Issue on Race, Ethnicity and Sexual Orientation, 4 Nat’l J. Sex. Orien. L. (Spring 1998)[this is an on-line journal available at http://sunsite.unc.edu/gaylaw.]
- Coalescing Communities, Discourses and Practices: Synergies in the Anti-Subordination Project, Symposium Issue from the First Annual Lat/Crit Conference, 2 Harv. Lat. L. Rev. 473 (1997).
- The Lesbian Wife: Same-Sex Marriage as an Expression of Radical and Plural Democracy, Symposium Issue on “Towards a Radical and Plural Democracy,” 33 Cal. W. L. Rev. 155 (1997).
- Are Same-Sex Marriage Statutes the New Anti-Gay Initiatives?, Symposium issue on "Reactions to Romer v. Evans, " 2 Nat’l J. Sex. Orien. L. (January 1997)[this is an on-line journal available at http://sunsite.unc.edu/gaylaw].
- Same-Sex Marriage and the Public Policy Exception in Choice-of-Law: Does It Really Exist?, Symposium issue on "Federalism Revisited: Extraterritorial Recognition of Same-Sex Marriage," 16 Quinnipiac L. Rev. 61 (1996).
- Amicus Curiae Brief to the Supreme Court of Wisconsin in Holtzmann v. Knott on behalf of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, 2 Nat'l J. of Sexual Orien. L. (1996)[this is an on-line journal available at http://sunsite.unc.edu/gaylaw].
- A (Personal) Essay on Same-Sex Marriage, 1 Nat't J. of Sexual Orien. L. (1995)[this is an on-line journal available at http://sunsite.unc.edu/gaylaw] (also published in Same-Sex Marriage: The Moral and Legal Debate 27-29 (Robert M. Baird & Stuart E. Rosenblum, eds., 1996).
- Practical Battles From Being Visible as a Lesbian, 5 Rev. L. & Women's Stud. 89-104 (1995).
- Same-Sex Marriage and Choice of Law: If We Marry in Hawaii, Are We Still Married When We Get Home?, 1994 Wis. L. Rev. 1033-1118.
- Love Makes a Family--Nothing More, Nothing Less: How the Judicial System Has Refused to Protect Non-legal Parents in Alternative Families, VIII Journal of Law and Politics 5-67 (Fall 1991).
- Refocusing Abortion Jurisprudence to Include the Woman: A Response to Bopp and Coleson and Webster v. Reproductive Health Services, 1990 Utah L. Rev. 543-611.
- Co-Author with Mary Ray, Getting Dorothy out of Kansas: The Importance of an Advanced Component to Legal Writing Programs, 40 J. Legal Ed. 351-361 (1990).
- Choosing One's Family: Can the Legal System Address the Breadth of Women's Choices of Intimate Relationships, 8 St. Louis U. Pub. L. Rev. 299-337 (1989).
- Book review of Legal Writing: Getting it Right and Getting it Written, 24 Cal. West. L. Rev. 201-218 (1987-88).
- Alternative Families: Obtaining Traditional Family Benefits Through Litigation, Legislation and Collective Bargaining, 2 Wis. Women's L. J. 1-51 (1986)(written and published 1987).
back to top
back to Professor Cox's home page