Steven R. Smith - California Western
Steven R. Smith
Professor of Law
Former Chair, ABA Section on Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar
J.D. University of Iowa [high distinction, Order of the Coif]
M.A. University of Iowa [economics]
B.A. Buena Vista College [summa cum laude]
Dean Smith was appointed dean of California Western in 1996, following eight years as Dean at Cleveland-Marshall Law School. He had previously been a law professor at the University of Louisville, where he also served as Associate Dean and Acting Dean. Dean Smith has received awards for innovative teaching, research and creative activity, and distinguished service and has developed and taught courses and seminars on Health Law and Mental Health Law. He has published widely in law and psychology and law and medicine.
Dean Smith served as Deputy Director of the Association of American Law Schools (AALS) in 1987-88. He remains active in AALS and in the work of the American Bar Association, where he served as vice chair and chair of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar from 2003-2006.
- David L. Shapiro & Steven R. Smith, Malpractice in Psychology: A Practical Resource for Clinicians (American Psychological Association 2011).
- Steven R. Smith, Legal and Confidentiality Issues in Treating Minors, in Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology 335 (Joseph Sanfilippo, Eduardo Lara-Torre, D. Keith Edmonds & ClaireTempleman eds., 2008).
- Steven R. Smith, Financing the Future of Legal Education: "Not What It Used to Be,” 2012 Mich. St. L. Rev. 579 (2012).
- Steven R. Smith, The Supreme Court and the Future of Healthcare Reform, 38 Register Report 20 (2012).
- Steven R. Smith, Neuroscience, Ethics and Legal Responsibility: The Problem of the Insanity Defense, 18 Science and Engineering Ethics 475 (2012).
- Steven R. Smith, Mental Health and Medical Rights: The Supreme Court of the United States in 2010-2011, 37 Register Report 34 (2011).
- Steven R. Smith, Life, Death, or Miranda: The Supreme Court Term 2009-2010, 36 Register Report 28 (2010).
- Steven R. Smith, From Expert Witnesses to ‘Fleeting Expletives’: The Supreme Court 2008-2009, Register Report (2009) available at http://www.e-psychologist.org/index.iml?mdl=exam/show_article.mdl&Material_ID=102.
- Steven R. Smith, Gresham’s Law in Legal Education, 17 J. Contemp. Legal Issues 171 (2008).
- Steven R. Smith, Limiting Execution of the Mentally Ill: Highlights of the 2006-2007 Term of the Supreme Court, 33 Register Report 10 (2007).
Columns and the like (a partial list)
- Steven R. Smith & Joseph C. Sanfilippo, Applied Ethics for the Physician, in MBA for Healthcare Professionals (Joseph Sanfilippo et al. eds.) (forthcoming).
- Steven R. Smith & Joseph C. Sanfilippo, Business Law for Health Care Professionals, in MBA for Healthcare Professionals (Joseph Sanfilippo et al. eds.) (forthcoming).
- Steven R. Smith & Joseph C. Sanfilippo, Risk Management in Health Care, in MBA for Healthcare Professionals (Joseph Sanfilippo et al. eds.) (forthcoming).
- Steven R. Smith, The Carrot and the Stick, The Scrivener 1 (2012).
- Steven R. Smith, Years of Leadership: Scribes Presidents, The Scrivener 1 (2011).
- Steven R. Smith, When Enough is Enough, The Scrivener 1 (2011).
- Steven R. Smith, Good Writing Gets Us Closer to Real Justice, The Scrivener 1 (2011).
- Steven R. Smith, Being Optimistic About Legal Writing, The Scrivener 1 (2010).