Vice Dean for Academic Affairs
Professor of Law
Ph.D., 1992 Yale University
J.D., 1999 University of Virginia
Property, sales, secured transactions, legal analysis, and law and economics.
Professor Smythe joined California Western School of Law as an
Assistant Professor of Law in 2001. He left California Western in 2004
to become an Associate Professor of Economics and Law at Washington and
Lee University in Lexington, VA. He returned to California Western as
an Associate Professor of Law in 2007 and became a Professor of Law in
Here is a brief CV:
Visit Professor Smythe's SSRN Author Page.
- Donald J. Smythe, Impossibility and Impracticability, in Encyclopedia Of Law And Economics 207 (2d ed. 2011).
- Donald J. Smythe, Reasonable Standards for Contract Interpretation under the CISG, Cardozo J. Int'l. & Comp. L. (forthcoming).
- Donald J. Smythe, The Illiberty of Contract, Quinnipiac L. Rev. (forthcoming).
- Donald J. Smythe, Clearing the Clouds on the CISG’s Warranty of Title, Nw. J. Int'l. L. & Bus. (forthcoming).
- Donald J. Smythe, Liberty at the Borders of Private Law, 49 Akron L. Rev. 1 (2015).
- Donald J. Smythe, Consideration for a Price: Using the Contract Price to Interpret Ambiguous Contract Terms, 34 N. Ill. U. L. Rev. 109 (2013).
- Laurence A. Benner, Robert Bird & Donald J. Smythe, Social Network Theory and the Diffusion of the Search and Seizure Exclusionary Rule Among State Courts Between Weeks and Wolf, 27 BYU J. Pub. L. 97 (2012).
- Robert C. Bird & Donald J. Smythe, Social Network Analysis and the Diffusion of the Strict Liability Rule for Manufacturing Defects, 1963-87, 37 Law & Soc. Inquiry 565 (2012).
- Donald J. Smythe, The Rise of the Corporation, the Birth of Public Relations, and the Foundations of Modern Political Economy, 50 Washburn L.J. 635 (2011).
- Donald J. Smythe, The Road to Nowhere: Caterpillar v. Usinor and CISG Claims by Downstream Buyers against Remote Sellers, 2 Geo. Mason J. Int’l Com. L. 123 (2011).
- Donald J. Smythe, A Schumpeterian View of the Great Merger Movement in American Manufacturing, 4 Cliometrica 141 (2010).
- Robert C. Bird & Donald J. Smythe, The Structure of American Legal Institutions and the Diffusion of Wrongful-Discharge Laws, 1978-99, 42 Law & Soc’y Rev. 833 (2008).
- Donald J. Smythe, Transaction Costs, Neighborhood Effects, and the Diffusion of the Uniform Sales Act, 1906-47, Review Of Law And Economics: Vol. 4: Iss. 1, Article 16 (2008), available at http://www.bepress.com/rle/vol4/iss1/art16.
- Donald J. Smythe, Commercial Law in the Cracks of Judicial Federalism, 56 Cath. U. L. Rev. 451 (2007).
- Donald J. Smythe, Shareholder Democracy and the Economic Purpose of the Corporation, 63 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 1407 (2007).
- Donald J. Smythe, The Scope of a Bargain and the Value of a Promise, 60 S.C. L. Rev. 203 (2008).