Student & Diversity Services determines reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities in accordance with applicable federal and state laws, and the law school’s policies. We encourage you to contact us to engage in a discussion to identify and remove barriers to your learning.
Follow the steps below if you are interested in receiving accommodations while a student at California Western.
STEP 1: KNOW YOUR RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
• Review CWSL’s Policy and Procedures for the Provision of Services to Students with Disabilities (click to access link).
• Contact Student & Diversity Services with any questions or concerns.
STEP 2: COMPLETE THE APPLICATION – PARTS 1 AND 2
Part 1: Your Part
• Obtain an Accommodations Request Application (click to access link).
• Submit the Request for Disability Services Form by the trimester deadline 30 days prior to the last day of classes:
‣ In Person: Student & Diversity Services (In Student Center, first floor,350 Building), or
‣ Email: StudentServices@cwsl.edu
• Complete the Authorization for Disclosure of Health Information Form for each health care professional who will provide documentation supporting your request.
Part 2: Completed by your Health Care Professional
• Provide the Authorization for Disclosure of Health Information Form and the Health Care Professional Verification of Disability form (included in the packet) to each qualified health care professional who will support your request. The completed Professional Verification should include both documentation evidencing the qualifying disability and the reasonable accommodations you will need while you are in law school.
• The professional sends the Health Care Professional Verification of Disability form and supporting documents directly to CWSL via (1) email to: StudentServices@cwsl.edu, (2) confidential fax (619) 615-1448, or (3) US Mail to 225 Cedar Street, San Diego, California 92101.
STEP 3 – FINALIZE ACCOMMODATIONS
Once Student & Diversity Services has received and reviewed all sections of the Accommodation Request Application, we will set an appointment to discuss your request. Final steps are:
• Meeting with Student & Diversity Services.
• If approved, engage in interactive process to determine accommodations from the law school.
• Follow the procedures in trimester Accommodation Agreement and other applicable rules.
BAR EXAM AND MPRE ACCOMMODATIONS
Accommodations applications should be prepared six months prior to the exam date. We encourage you to start early in your law school career to learn and understand the requirements to receive testing accommodations for the State Bar Exam and MPRE (see links on left hand side of page). Timelines for outside licensing or testing agencies differ significantly from policies and procedures at California Western.
Stop by the Student Center, 350 Building First Floor
Phone: (619) 515-1576