The Financial Aid office at California Western is committed to providing personalized financial assistance and counseling from the start of the application process through the beginning of your career as an attorney.
Steps to Apply for Financial Aid
The following is a detailed list of steps that should be taken when applying for financial aid at California Western School of Law:
- Before completing any forms, review the Financial Aid section of this website. Be sure to take note of the applicable deadline dates; while you may apply for aid after these dates, the full array of aid sources may not still be available if you apply late.
- Complete the current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The California Western School of Law institution code is G13103.
- Once processed, a FAFSA Submission Summary will be emailed to you and an electronic version will be transmitted to the schools you listed on your FAFSA.
- Create your account on the California Western School of Law student financial aid portal. Students must be accepted for admission before they can create an account. Instructions
on establishing a login will generally be emailed to you within a week of your admission.
- New users must set up an account using your Social Security Number and your student ID.
- If you forget or lose your password, you can reset it using your custom security questions.
- Upon receipt of your FAFSA, the Office of Financial Aid will begin the review process and communicate via email any needed documents, additional information, or next steps. As such, it is imperative that students check their CWSL email consistently and often.
- Once the Financial Aid Office has determined your aid eligibility, a financial aid
offer letter and next step instructions will be emailed. Student will need to return
to the financial aid portal
- To accept, reduce, or decline the aid offered, AND
- Complete any additional documents required
- Once your financial aid file is complete (all requested documents are received and
all aid is accepted/ declined) the Financial Aid Office will begin processing accepted
- Please note that Federal Student Aid, when processing a Graduate PLUS Loan, will perform a credit check.
- You may defer payment of tuition and fees by filing a Tuition Deferment/Promissory Note with the Business Office.
- You may only defer the amount of tuition and fees that will be covered by your financial aid.
- Tuition deferments based on student loans are valid only after you submit your FAFSA or renewal FAFSA to the federal processor.
- Be aware that if Federal Student Aid denies your Graduate PLUS Loan or your private loan application is denied, the portion of tuition deferred based on those loan funds becomes due and payable immediately. Applicants with derogatory credit should be prepared to secure another method of financing. California Western School of Law will not provide funds to replace your Graduate PLUS or private loan if it is denied by your lender.
Note: Graduate PLUS and private loans are subject to lender credit criteria. Your lender will decide whether to approve or deny your Graduate PLUS or private loan application. For these reasons, the appearance of a Graduate PLUS or private loan on your Financial Aid Offer does not guarantee credit approval.