Servicemember holding books in front of American flag

Veterans Benefits & Yellow Ribbon Program

With nine military bases in our backyard, California Western is a natural choice for service members pursuing a legal education.  The California Western JD Program is approved for the training of veterans and eligible persons under the provisions of Title 38, United States Code.

General GI Bill Education Benefits

The education section on the United States Department of Veterans Affairs has details on the type of education benefits, how to apply for benefits, amounts, and answers to frequently asked questions. 

Veterans, survivors, and dependents should contact Kelly Fernando, Associate Director of Financial Aid and School Certifying Official, at (619) 525-7062 or by email at JavaScript Required to get the eligibility certification process started.

Yellow Ribbon Program

California Western School of Law participates in the Post-9/11 GI Bill® Yellow Ribbon Program which is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.

As part of the program, degree-granting institutions of higher learning in the U.S.  voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Veterans Administration to help fund tuition expenses for eligible veterans.

Yellow Ribbon at California Western School of Law:

All eligible admitted and continuing JD candidates can apply for Yellow Ribbon Program benefits. California Western offers full tuition and fees coverage to all qualified Yellow Ribbon Program applicants. California Western covers half of the remaining tuition and fees after the Post-9/11 GI Bill’s annual allowance has been applied.  The Veterans Administration will cover the other half.

To apply for Yellow Ribbon benefits at California Western School of Law applicants must do the following:

  • Be admitted to California Western School of Law
  • Be eligible for 100% of the benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill Program
  • Provide a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Law School Financial Aid Office
  • Submit a Veterans Education Benefits Request Form (link to Microsoft 365 form) to the CWSL Financial Aid office.

Active-duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon benefits. Child transferees of active-duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate). 

  • The award amount may change from fiscal year to fiscal year depending on the level of participation elected by California Western.
  • Students awarded will continue to receive Yellow Ribbon benefits as long as California Western continues to participate in the program, while the student remains continuously enrolled and while they continue to meet all applicable eligibility criteria.
  • Students must comply with all Veterans Administration and California Western School of Law required deadlines and procedures.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

CWSL Financial Aid Office

You can mail, hand-deliver, fax, or email your Veterans Education Benefits Request Form and Certificate of Eligibility to the Law School Financial Aid Office.

Feel free to to contact Associate Director of Financial Aid and School Certifying Official, Kelly Fernando, if you have additional questions about benefits.

Contact Us
Attn: Kelly Fernando
Associate Director, Financial Aid Office
225 Cedar Street
San Diego, CA 92101